Currently, there are more than 29,000 WordPress plugins available and the numbers are constantly increasing. Therefore, when it comes to knowing which ones would be a good fit for your blog the decision could be difficult. Great content is necessary for a successful blog however when it comes to growing your readers and them being active you will have to add in some tools to help you. I’ve listed the best WordPress plugins for blogs.
Email subscriptions are a must for every blogger. It is important that you give your readers the opportunity to subscribe to whatever it is that you are offering. If you haven’t heard this before, remember the money is in the list. When you set up your email subscription make sure that you at least send out a newsletter regularly. This is a struggle for busy entrepreneurs, one that I also struggle with. However, it’s important to keep consistent contact with your email list.
- MailChimp is one of the most popular email marketing tools, and for good reason: they’re the only service with a free tier. You can use their service for free with a list under 2,000 subscribers. For a start-up business or blog following a lean methodology is likely to use MailChimp. You can always upgrade as your needs change.
- GetResponse is another popular email marketing tool that’s pricing tiers are cheaper that MailChimp and offer a great user experience.
There are many to choose from, but these are two popular options that are easy to use and help build attractive newsletters.
Opt-in Sign-up Forms
Once you get your list set up, you then have to work on getting subscribers. The best places to advertise for subscribers to optin to your email lists are at the top of your sidebar, popups, and at the end of a good article. To increase your website conversion rate, give someone something for free in exchange for signing up to your email list.
You email marketing service allows you to generate the HTML code to place on your website, however there are numerous plugins to help you list build.
- MailChimp List Subscribe Form is the MailChimp plugin allows you to quickly and easily add a signup form for your MailChimp list.
- GetResponse Integration is the GetResponse Integration plugin allows you to quickly and easily add a sign-up form to your site.
- Optin Revolution: WordPress Popup is a WordPress popup plugin to create supercharged unblockable WordPress popups to grow your list of subscribers!
Sharing tools are one of the most requested WordPress plugins. The best way to promote your blog is giving others the ability to share content that they find helpful.
- Digg Digg adds a floating share bar to your blog posts and has proven to increase Social sharing by up to 7 times if added.
- WP Flare is a simple yet eye-catching social sharing bar. With this plugin, you can add a Follow Me widget to gain more followers. You can also choose where the sharing buttons will appear.
If you use a WordPress theme, you know that they all have a simple commenting system included. However, if you want to supercharge your comment section you will need a plugin.
- Stop Spam Comments – Start here. Stop Spam Comments fights spam in your comments like no other. No captcha, tricky questions or any other user interaction required at all.
- Disqus is one of the more popular commenting plugins because it has many features yet it is easy to use. It does take 2 minutes to install but the mobile commenting, notification systems, and inline media embedding make it worth the wait.
- CommentLuv places a link to the poster’s last blog post at the end of their comment and a backlink to their website which increases comments and interaction.
- SEO Facebook Comments allows Facebook users to comment right from their accounts. They have the option to post on their Facebook page, which helps your blog get more exposure.
Search Engine Optimization
If you do not have some love from Google you are missing an important channel for your business. Therefore, you have to ensure that your blog posts and pages are likely to be found when a potential customer is searching for what you have to offer on Google.
- Google XML Sitemap Generator – This is one of the most important things to have. It submits your blog’s sitemaps to Google automatically when a new post or page is added.
- WordPress SEO by Yoast – If you need a SEO plugin that does it all this is it. This plugin helps you write better content and have a fully optimized WordPress site.
Okay so now that you have gotten through this article you are ready to be a blogging rock star. I have provided you with key tools for a blog. There’s no one way or best way, write and see what tools work for you. The list we have provided you is an excellent place to start.
What are your favorite blogging tools or plugins? Please share.